FAQ

What does ‘HITT’ stand for?

High Impact Tourism and Training for Jobs and Income programme.

What is it exactly?

The HITT programme is about developing a global approach for designing and implementing market-driven vocational training targeting informal and potential workers.

Who will benefit from HITT?

It is being piloted in the tourism sector and targets unskilled and semi-skilled informal workers and potential workers as well as informal small and micro entrepreneurs (and their families and dependents). There is a particular emphasis on women, young people, the under skilled and semi skilled, who generally have limited resources and access to vocational training.

How is the HITT programme implemented?

In close consultation and coordination with relevant government authorities and development planners; training and vocational education institutions from the public, private and NGO sectors; and the market –  tourism businesses and business associations.

Who is funding the HITT programme?

The EC Investing in People Programme.

Where does it take place?

Benin, Ghana, Mali, Mozambique, Cambodia, Vietnam and Nepal with a view to other countries adopting the approach.

Who is implementing it?

SNV in partnership with nine local partner organisations from the public and private sector and with the support of programme associates, The World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) and The International Trade Centre (ITC).

What’s it costing?

Around  €2.5 million. The EC is contributing 80% of that and SNV and partners the remaining 20%.

How long will the programme go on for?

The programme will be implemented in three years. Implementation started in February 2011 and will continue until January 2014.

What outcomes will result from the programme’s implementation?

A global approach for designing and implementing market-driven vocational training, targeting informal and potential workers, with the following components:

  • Context and market analysis, employment analysis and training needs assessment methodologies
  • Policy and institutional management mechanisms for supporting TVET for the informal sector
  • Mechanisms for liaising with industry to provide training and linking training to job entry
  • Financial sustainability mechanisms
  • Methods to adapt existing training and devise new curricula according to growth and change in the tourism sector
  • Self-monitoring and evaluation methods for quality improvements
  • Mechanisms for tracking trainee performance, income and employment post-training.

A global approach to design a curriculum and implement training for unskilled and semi-skilled informal workers, potential workers and informal sector small and micro entrepreneurs (and their families and dependents), with a particular emphasis on women, youth, under skilled and semi skilled, who have limited resources and access to vocational training.

  • Training modules with associated materials
  • Trainer competencies
  • Training approach: how to engage with poor communities; selection of participants; preparation of participants; training using practical techniques and internships, mentoring and post training follow-up

What will the long term outcomes of the HITT programme be?

The HITT programme has been designed so that the impacts will not be limited to the duration of the programme itself (2011-2014). Some of the long term impacts include:

  • Impacts on the 8000 beneficiaries trained by HITT, whose employability will be increased, creating opportunities for increased income + multiplier effects
  • A closer relationship between private sector actors and vocational training organisations in the tourism sector, leading to better communication of market demands and training of human resources to satisfy that demand
  • Replication of the HITT approach in other least-developed countries, and in other sectors by SNV (such as agriculture, energy and water)

Who should I contact if I want to know more about HITT?

Monica Oliveros
HITT Global Programme Leader
moliverosdelgado@snvworld.org